After one and a half year with the Netgear GS716T v3 I’m still pleased. A bit late as the update is around for a while I updated the switch as some bugs were fixed.
Over here you find the download.
You find in this previous article how I did it: Netgear GS716T v3: update Firmware
After trying to see the Device View which is a Java applet I just got a message by my browser that it is blocked. Checked the firmware version and the installed one 184.108.40.206 is older than 220.127.116.11 available on the netgear homepage.
Easy steps to update
I downloaded 18.104.22.168
Upload (save current image)
I saved the current version (named image1) by navigating to Maintenance > Upload > HTTP File Upload, then File Type = archive and Image Name = image1. After clicking APPLY, you can download the current image of the switch.
Download (write new image)
After that I went to Maintenance > Download > HTTP File Download and put the new .stk filewhich is part of the firmware .zip to the switch.
Now to Maintenance > File Management > Dual Image Configuration to activate image2. I also named it according to the firmware version and clicked APPLY. I double-checked via the menu item Dual Image Status:
After that I did Maintenance > Reset > Device Reboot. Once the switch was back again after about 2 minutes I checked the used firmware version and it showed the new one. Then I navigated to Device View and – it now works with Java 8. Mission accomplished.
To bump up the connection and also avoid sloppy Wifi rates around my flat I went a bit further than just buying a cheap switch and got a 16 port managed switch, the Netgear GS716T-300EUS Smart Managed Switch.
Downside of the cheap Netgear device is that the management software is only available for Microsoft Windows, not for Linux or MacOSX. However, web configuration is possible and everything important should be available via the web interface.
Next I Installed Nagios which was not that easy as the primary hints on how to do it via homebrew were wrong/bad. I found an older instruction which helped me to get there. The switch was now able to tell me via SNMP that the intended ports were up and how long it was turned on so far.
Pictures of opening the box: